Many people prefer gold necklaces because gold is durable and doesn’t tarnish. However, gold jewelry can still get dirty and lose its shine or luster when dust and the wearer’s oil and sweat get on it. That’s why is very important to learn how to take care of your gold pieces.
Here are our top 5 tips on the proper care of gold necklaces:
1. Keep them clean. Thoroughly clean your necklaces every once in a while. You can do this by getting a toothbrush and a little soap, dish washing liquid, toothpaste or baking soda. You will see that the discoloration will disappear. There are also jewelry stores that offer professional cleaning and will clean your gold necklaces for you.
2. Store them individually. Store each gold necklace in a separate box or pouch. They will only get tangled if you place them together in a box with other jewelry pieces. Untangling the necklaces may cause the chains to break. You can also wrap them individually with tissue or soft paper if you plan to place them in one jewelry box.
3. Use them sparingly. Don’t wear your gold necklaces too often. Even if you clean them regularly, wearing them all the time will still result to wear and tear or damage. You should also remove any kind of gold jewelry when taking a bath or exercising.
4. Do not expose them to chlorine. Keep your gold necklaces from pool chlorine. As such, remove them when going swimming. Not only will chlorine cause severe discoloration, but it can also weaken the gold and cause chinking.
5. Inspect them regularly. Always check your necklaces after every use. Because gold is a malleable metal, it is possible for them to get dents and fragile points. If you notice any, take them to a professional jeweler and have them repaired right away. Do not try to fix them yourself, as it may cause more malformation.
Following these simple steps will ensure that your gold necklaces are treated well and will last a very long time.